For those of you who don't know, I'm the official spokesperson for Rough House Publishing. Rough House Publishing is a grindhouse-style production company of independent comic books, graphic novels and other media. It was launched in 2013 by artist Derek Rook. I'm in charge of marketing and promotions. You can find me at their table at most horror conventions in the New England area but will be expanding our tours soon. We have a TON of great horror fun coming up for you all to enjoy.
Today I'm focusing on our latest project:
The Dead Omnibus.
The Dead was originally created and released back in 1993 by Ralph Griffith and Stuart Kerr. These guys were not new to horror comics as they are also the creators of the cult favorite DEADWORLD, which was started in 1987. After selling the rights to their featured artist Vince Locke (who then transferred the rights to Gary Reed), Ralph & Stu began their journey with THE DEAD.
The Dead is labeled one of the most controversial books of its time. It was featured on The 700 Club as an example of Satan destroying America’s youth through the influence of comic books. The Dead was eventually banned in Canada and the UK, after only two issues being released.
The Dead was coveted by die hard horror fans but didn't fit into the mainstream due to the independent comic scene in the '90s and the graphic nature of the book itself; an era where society shunned this type of content.
The original artist who helped start this controversial book, is Jason Moore. Later issues included artists Mike Mason and Deidre Crouch, whom each added their own version of gore-ffic horrors for fans to enjoy.
There were 3 volumes of The Dead that were released. The 1st volume, released in 1993, had both graphic and tame versions of the covers. Volumes 2 and 3, released in 1997 and 2010 respectively, only issued the gory graphic covers that depicted what lies beneath the covers horror fans drooled over.
All 3 stories in the original series are unrelated but showcased a world where zombies ruled the Earth. But these weren't your average zombies. No, these were the worst of the worst- these zombies had personalities that were made up of pure evil never before seen. They craved not only human flesh but to torture and sexually degrade humans to the point of global genocide.
What is THE DEAD: OMNIBUS?
The idea behind The Dead: Omnibus is not only to re-release the original issues of The Dead but to continue on the story by bringing all 3 of the original stories together. It basically will show multiple characters from multiple places dealing with a worldwide zombie holocaust where they all come together in a survival of the fittest scenario; where nightmares are made into reality.
- Rough House Publishing is fully restoring over 280 pages of the black and white artwork of Jason Moore, Matt Mason, and Deirdre Crouch from the original run.
- We're adding a previously unreleased #3 from the very first run of prints.
- Over 35 pages of brand new story and artwork that ties the whole bloody affair together in one volume of guts and despair, by Mike Wasion, Derek Rook, Jason Moore & Vince Locke.
- A new DEADITORIAL retrospective from co-founders Ralph Griffith & Stuart Kerr.
- A full color Cover Gallery of every single issue of THE DEAD, including previously unpublished covers.
- Loads of never before released “pin up” artwork spanning the books 23 year history.
- A new painted “NOT FOR WUSSIES” back cover by famed artist Mark Bloodworth.
- A new painted “DEFINITELY NOT FOR WUSSIES” front cover by Jason Moore & Vince Locke.
- A raunchy THE DEAD, arrest-worthy, bumper sticker.
- An exclusive THE DEAD “Barf Bag.” Love or hate the content, this collectible will provide you with the same function.
ARE YOU READY TO RESSURECT THE DEAD?!
If you're ready to truly satisfy your twisted fascination of gory, fucked up tastes then you have finally reached your home sweet bloody home. Let's show horror fans worldwide that comics are not just for super heroes. Check out our campaign to make to THE DEAD: OMNIBUS a nightmare reality. We've got lots of great gore-tastic perks for you waiting.